Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Nebraska ~ Holler!






Yesterday was a super eventful and LONG day that ended in all of us completing our first century (wow) and also entering the state of Nebraska, two of our riders' home state (whoooo!). The day was hot, long, and hilly, but all around a good day. About 10 miles before our second lunch, myself and Marty unfortunately missed a turn and had absolutely no idea until we were eventually chased down by Marita in the van who regretfully told us we had gone 5 miles too far. So we turned around (what other choice do we have on this trip? lol). Those 5 miles of backtracking revealed to us that not only did we go 5 miles in the wrong direction, but we were also going slightly up hilll and into the wind. It was not too much fun, but at least the 5 miles back were slightly down hill and we had a tail wind haha.

We eventually made it back to the right road, and were greeted with a monstrous hill (great). From there we kept telling each other (but I think it was more to motivate ourselves personally) to just keep pedaling and make it to second lunch. We eventually arrive, after more climbing, and collapsed in the shade. After some food and fluids for energy we set off again just ahead of sweeps with everyone esle already gone. The first few miles were rough since we were already at mile 90 and we were joking about how hard it was to even get above 9mph. After the legs started warming up again I think my body went into such a focused state of mind and energy I didn't even know I had began to kick in. I was so in the zone and just kept pedaling. Marty would try to talk to me and my responses were one word answers until it got to the point that he realized I was not in a chatty mood haha.

We evetually crossed over the bridge into Nebraska (extremely busy bridge full of cars and semitrucks; no picture was taken beacuse I was more worried about my life) and Frannie's mom actually called and left me a message in the middle of my crossing the state line ;) Getting the the YMCA was really exhilirating and such an awesome feeling. Marty and my's mileage for the day ended up being 115.7 miles... brutal. I think everyone else was around 103 (still a century - we rock!).

It was kind of funny how after the ride everyone showered, ate, and probably 75% of us were comfy in our sleeping bags and alseep by 7:30. Exhaustion had hit us all hard. The YMCA we stayed at in South Sioux City was really nice though. Definitely one of the nicest we have seen to date, and I was a little sad to not have taken advantage of the steam room, pool, or hot tub. Sleep was my number one priority, and I was totally one of the people sound asleep before a lot of Americans have even eaten dinner (oh what B&B does to your body).

We woke up today at the usual 5am for a 77 mile ride to Plainview, NE. The first half of the ride was awesome. I rode with Brooke the first 40 miles and our amazing convos made the miles melt away. We stopped for lunch at a great spot found by Shira. There was a cute snack bar type of walk up window thing where you order food with picnic tables outside of it. We all ate food from the trailer and most of us ended up ordering ice cream, smoothies, fries, onion rings and other goodies from the place. The mango smoothie was so delicious, and really hit the spot on such a hot day.

The second half of the ride was fairly uneventful, but a struggle for me due to increasing back/shoulder pain of the course of the past week or so and it just seems to be getting worse, the heat, and some butt pain, which I am hoping is not turning into a saddle sore (but am sad to think it might be). Hopefully I will be able to take care of these things early and they won't develop into anything that may lead to me having to ride in the van. I will keep you updated.

We are styaing at yet another church tonight and they are giving us dinner and breakfast (always a plus). There's about 15 of us crammed into the very tiny single room Plainview Public Library right now using the computers or reading the newspaper. I think we have overwhelmed the very old, but very kind, librarian. Us making a spectacle and people staring... what else is new haha. This was an impromtu internet stop though so I do not have my camera with me and cannot post any pictures at this time =( I will add some next time I can.

Tomorrow we will be heading to Stuart, NE about 70 or 80 miles away. These back to back to back long days are starting to wear on us a bit. We are all already counting down the days to our second day off on July 14th... soooo close. We have already been promised by locals that Nebraska, which we are in for 7 days, is boring and full of fields and nothingness. I am hoping they are wrong.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my awesome brother Josh! Sorry I can't be there, and sorry I didn't send a card, but I got super sweet postcards today so you can expect one in the near future. =)

2 comments:

Metal_Guy_777 said...

Thanks Jess! No problem. It was so nice you called last night, though. Keep up the great work and try not to let the pain get to you. We're all so proud of you.

jason lortie said...

I can't believe how far you have gone! it seems like a few days ago you were in Pennsylvania lol.

Keep up the good work!