Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Boston and a Broken Chain

Got to Boston yesterday and Josh came to pick me up at the airport. It was nice to have someone with a car come get me. I can only imagine the horrid events that would have occurred if I had to try and get everything onto the T.... bad news. Anyways, we immediately stopped at Chipotle and ate a burrito (which I some how managed to get for free... I have no idea, the guy working there was kinda strange) and then I stopped at Glenn's Gym on the way home to see the old strength and conditioning coaches. It always feels so nice to be back in that gym! I love it so much. I saw Darcy, Glenn, Vic, and the old assistant coaches, chatted for a while and set up a loose schedule of when I should come in to learn how to write programs and train. Vic, who is training for the Iron Man (crazy!) also informed me of a group ride that he was going on later that night and invited me along. I was pretty excited to get out there and conquer Boston on my bike, but knew that it was still sitting in Josh's car in a bag not put together so I decided to try and fix that.
Well, needless to say trying to put that stupid thing back together was a huge ordeal which ended in me covered in grease and taking it to the local bike store and asking for help. The guy working there was super nice. I asked him about my chain since it seemed to be extremely dirty and after taking a look at it he told me that I had worn it out and it was stretched. Yes, weird I didn't know chains could stretch either, but apparently they can. So after setting me up with a new chain and telling me he would put the darn thing together properly and give it a nice tune up, I said thanks and will be picking it up on Thursday. Which is good... it gives me today to figure out who to ride with this weekend. Until then, Glenn's Gym will provide some nice treadmills and of course the dreaded aerodyne bikes to at least stay in a some what conditioned state and not be a lazy bum.
Also, just an interesting fact that kind of made me a little worried. Exactly 3 weeks from today I will be in Providence for the start of this trip... wow. I'm starting to get a little nervous now. I will let you all know how the hills of Boston treat me since Florida is so freakin flat. Hopefully, I learn quickly... oh man 3 weeks...

2 comments:

T-Bird said...

YAY JESS - You can do it!!

Claudette said...

I guess putting the bike back together wasn't as easy as it looks. I'm glad someone was able to help you. Too bad about the chain. At least now, you are set for the summer.