Friday, May 30, 2008

Hill Training & Smores

Since I learned that hills and I do not get along so well the other day, I decided to try and do something about it. Yesterday Josh and I found a nice hill on Beacon Street... not too steep, but a nice steady incline in which I proceeded to run up and down eight times. The first few were a bit hard, but once I got into the rhythm of things, it wasn't too bad.

After feeling somewhat more accomplished, but still not too tired, we walked back to the apartment with plans of going to the gym after getting some water. As soon as we walked in my phone started ringing and it was a girl who is actually on the trip with me this summer. Her name is Frannie and she lives about a half hour south of Boston. We had exchanged some facebook messages with plans of riding together sometime before we meet in Providence for our summer adventure. She wanted to know if I wanted to ride, and even though those hills were no fun to have just run I said absolutely. Josh let me borrow his car and I made the trek down to a cute state park, which turns out it used to be a World War II training grounds for our soldiers (pretty cool). We went for a nice little less than 30mile ride, which is all my body could handle by this point having already ran and only have eaten a bowl of cereal and banana all day. The towns we rode through were so cute though, it was an extremely scenic and pleasant time. We were riding by the water most of the time with beautiful views of the ocean, rocky coast, and I even saw a couple lighthouses. It was very Cape-esque which if you have never been there is super cute.

The ride ended with excitement of getting to see each other again shortly in Providence (5 days!) and I headed back to Boston. Dinner was awesome. We made chicken fajitas and rice and beans and two smores, which we roasted the marshmallows over Josh's flame gas burners. Later that night I was still kinda hungry (hey, I didn't really eat lunch and biked and ran hills) and so Josh made me some waffle french fries that were sooo yummy.

A couple of the other Bike and Build routes have already left and I read some of their journals last night. Seems like they are already having an awesome time. The Appalachian Mountains are tough though. As nervous as I am about the whole hill and mountain thing, I just keep telling myself that I will be ok. I know no matter what I am going to make it through this and end up in Seattle a very happy and proud woman. I am so ready to get this thing started and conquer it!

Tomorrow Josh and I are going to the Sam Adams brewery to see how they make beer and get some free samples at the end. =) I am making him go back with me since last summer we went and I forgot my ID and was not allowed to partake in the samples, which sent me through a variety of emotions... There was denial at first that I could be this stupid. Then came anger, sadness, remorse, and finally I think I accepted it on the T ride back. But that was only because I ended up losing my phone on that subway ride back... oh man that was a bad day. Anyways, tomorrow will be much better.

Sunday I am going on another hilly ride up and down Comm. Ave. with Darcy. She called me her mini-me today and that made me smile. I find that to be a huge compliment I must say. Oh, and I am pretty sure that I am going to be bringing my laptop on the trip with me. As long as I can fit it in my tiny bag it will be along for the cross country journey. I just can't bare the thought of not being able to post on my blog.

Counting the days till departure...

2 comments:

T-Bird said...

Haha, I'm glad that you are loving your blog so much!! I love it too. Don't worry about the hills, I bet they'll suck the first few days or so but then you'll be used to it! =)
I can't believe that you leave SO SOON!!

jason lortie said...

Cool can not wait to read this while u are on the trip.

BTW thanks for discovering how to use breaks between paragraphs, it improves readability hehe. Give me a call sometime before you leave.

With love,
Jason