Wednesday, June 4, 2008

6 Months All Leading Up To Today

In about 3 hours I will officially be checked in and have started my trip. I am getting really excited and a little nervous. The past few days have been crazy trying to pack my very tiny bag many different times in different ways to see what works the best. Unfortunately, my laptop will be going back to Florida and not with me on this adventure due to space limitations. It really is insane how little I am bringing with me and still how much less space I have for it all. In one day I went to camping/outdoors stores 4 times to return, exchange, and purchase items. I think I made it very obvious to the people working there I have no idea what I am doing, and know absolutely nothing about sleeping bags, duffel bags, compression sacks, stuff sacks, or any other outdoorsy gear. It was a long couple day, and as frustrated as it got me (people who know me know just how much I love packing), it is over and the day I have been waiting for for 6 months is finally here.



We will spend 3 nights at Brown University in Providence, RI in their dorms. Two days of orientation... bike safety, learning how to maitain our bikes, change flats, purchase last minute equipment, decide everyone's daily responsibilies, etc. Friday we get to have a build day with the local Habitat for Humanity. Then Saturday we are finally off on our bicycles! I can't wait to get after it.




Providence is a really cute little town and so far I have had a great time here. Josh and I got here last night around 5 or 6 and went to dinner and all. On the way to dinner a guy working in the hotel we are staying at asked if we were going to fire water. My first thought was that fire water was some cool restaurant or something, but it actually is fire on the water (the river) in town. After dinner we walked over to where it was and it was really cool. I took some pictures, but they didn't really come out all the good (see for yourself). Basically it was like 20 campfires on the water, which looked really awesome. I don't understand our fascination with watching fire burn, but it's fun.




Anyways, today is the day my summer adventure officially starts... I will not say wish me luck, but I will say wish me safety. Since I am not bringing my laptop I do not know how often I will be able to post, but I promise to try my best to borrow people's computers or seek out public access ones as much as possible. Also know that emails j.lortie2@umiami.edu, facebook messages, and texts/phone calls are a good idea and will be answered.




WATER FIRE!!!
The Boston Commons on a beautiful spring day
View of the city from the Duck Tours boat
Fenway Park! We had tickets for the game the day after Lester's no hitter... @&%$!
Josh with Sam Adams at the Sam Adams Brewery tour

No comments: